Note: The local guide is not only about the place where i live, here’s a post about other possible destination for you:
Where is it?
Madeira is a Portuguese archipelago located in the North Atlantic Ocean at approximately 700 Kilometers (435 land miles) of the coast of Morocco. Of the seven islands only the two bigger ones are inhabited: Madeira Island (sharing its name with the archipelago) and Porto Santo. Funchal is the chief city of Madeira Island. Link to Google Earth
How to get there?
If you have limited time and you only want to stay a few days to know the Island, going by airplane is your best option. For example TAP (member of Star Alliance) and EasyJet provide regular flights to and from the Funchal Airport.
There is also the option to go by sea either by Ferry or in one of the many cruise ships with Funchal in their itinerary. However this are clearly more limited options, the Ferry for example is only available once a week.
Reasons to visit:
- The landscape – an abrupt beauty created in the ocean by volcanic activity.
- The flora – strange flowers can be found all over the island, some of them are native and others were brought over the centuries from all over the world. Sugarcane, Bananas and Pineapples also grow in the Island.
- The weather – warm weather during all the year.
- Calm and relaxing island unlike others that have become completely tourist-centered.
- Part of the European Union
Here at wordpress:
Note: downloading the images in the higher resolution will probably be better to zoom them in and out.