Note: Religious content – This following post shows the inside of Roman Catholic Churches in Oporto, if you don’t want to see the photos please skip it. Sorry for the inconvinience.
For more information on the location of this churches please check the “Praça de Gomes Teixeira” post.
Carmo Church or “Church of the Third order of Carmo” was built in the second half of the XVIII century in Rococo style, following the project by José Seixas. In 1912 the outside wall was covered by a huge “Azulejo” designed by Silvestre Silvestri.
There is a painting on the ceiling of the main chapel. view photo 4
The monastery of the Carmelitas barefoot friars and its Church were built in the first half of the XVII century. The church is designed in style with Classical and Baroque influences. In the XVIII century the interior was enriched with gilded chapels and pulpits. The monastery part of the building was converted into military quarters after the extinction of the religious orders in the XIX century.
There is a Pipe Organ upstairs in the choir area. view photo